Did you know that there is a whole week out of the year dedicated to recycling? This year National Recycling week will be observed from Monday, November 11- Sunday November 17, 2013.
So what exactly is National Recycling Week?
National Recycling Week is an annual campaign to educate and stimulate behaviour change, by:
- Promoting curbside, industrial and community recycling initiatives
- Giving people the tools to minimize waste and manage material resources responsibly at home, work and school.
Throughout the year, the City of Memphis collects an enormous amount of leaves from the city streets. One might ask, what does the the city do with all of these collected leaves? The answer is… recycle them! Annually the City of Memphis has a free mulch giveaway made of the collected leaves. This mulch can then be used to enrich and insulate soil in gardens around the community.
This year’s free Mulch Giveaway is being held in conjunction with National Recycling Week and will take place on Saturday, November 16, 2013 at the Liberty Bowl Parking area off Hollywood Street south of Central Avenue.
We at Clean Memphis challenge you to reduce, reuse, and recycle in your homes as much as possible for National Recycling Week. Small changes that everyone can make will lead to positive bigger changes for the overall community. We’ve even included some fun projects on our Reduce, Reuse, Recycle pin board to help you get started (see the link at the further down.)
The City of Memphis has a curbside recycling program which you can find out more about here. Listed below are 5 Recycling drop-off centers for various locations.
- Downtown – Located in the gravel parking area on Mud Island Drive at the North entrance to Mud Island Park.
- East Memphis – Located on Moore Ed, approx. 300 yards off Germantown Parkway So., just south of the Shelby Showplace Arena at the Agricenter International.
- Midtown – Located on the corner of cooper and Walker at the First Congregational Church.
- Southeast – Located at the Hickory Hill Community Center at 3910 Ridgeway.
- ReCommunity – 3197 Farrisview Blvd. (located off American Way just west of Lamar intersection) This is the City’s recycling processing facility operated by ReCommunity. Place recycling material in carts located just outside the gate.
If you’re looking for some recycling inspiration or just some cool and fun recycling projects to try out, checkout Clean Memphis’s Reduce, Reuse, Recycle pinboard on Pinterest! Also don’t forget to Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter for updates and service projects.